Friday, February 15, 2013

Celebrating Presidents' Day!

If you haven't figured it out already...you certainly will come to the realization after this post that sometimes things can get a bit crazy in our kinder-classroom!  Today's "Fun-Friday" theme was Presidents' Day....so what better way to "celebrate" (a.k.a. secretly TEACH) than to invite George Washington and Abe Lincoln themselves into the classroom!




(My educational "partner in crime," Mrs. Kidd, and I LOVE to dress up in character costumes to bring learning to life! Look at Abe's serious face!)  
 
 Presidents' Day
We began our "Fun Friday" afternoon activities by having our awesome Friday "Mom" volunteer read Celebrating Presidents' Day by Anne Rockwell.  After the reading, the students were suprised by a knock at the door....
And the entrance of George and Abe themselves!  After a bit of small talk, George and Abe broke into an awesome Presidents' Day rap song and dance! (Shout out to HarryKindergarten on YouTube for the great President's Day song and video!) 
Click below to see us in action!  It's good for a few laughs at the very least!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Next, George shared some facts about his life...his accomplishments, jobs, life stories (yes.. I included the "cherry tree incident")...and even threw in a "plug" for dental health month by sharing the secret fact that he didn't take care of his teeth as a child and how he ended up with hippopotamus false teeth!  (The kiddos will NEVER "forget" to brush their teeth again! Ha!)  George was sure to point out SEVERAL reasons why many people refer to him as the "greatest president ever!"
 
 
 

 
Next came Abe, serious and stoic... sharing facts of his life and the things he did as our president.   (I think the kids actually understood the Emancipation Proclamation by the time "he" was done!?) Abe argued why HE is often seen as the "greatest president ever!"
 
 
Finally... after a classroom debate, it was decided that BOTH George AND Abe were great presidents!
 
 
 
 
 
Next came George and Abe art! 
 
 
(I just created some basic shape templates for this project. Most pieces were pre-cut.  The project was a nice, basic follow-the-directions step-by-stepper!  If you would like the shape templates, post a comment and I will send them to you!)
 
Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire
 
 
 
Followed by a reading of Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire! by Diana DeGroat . 
 
 
We concluded the day with a "gift" from Abe ... a Presidents' Day book to add to students' familiar reading book boxes.  (Abe had shared his deep LOVE of reading with the kiddos earlier and that one of the "greatest gifts" one could receive is a book!)
 
Presidents' Day: An Emergent Reader About Washington and Lincoln    Presidents' Day: An Emergent Reader About Washington and Lincoln
(Click on the pics above to go to Lil' Country Kindergarten's TPT store and find the book!)
 
 
How do you celebrate Presidents' Day? 
Share with us!

6 comments:

  1. Wow what a great idea. I bet the kids really connected to the lesson. I love your ideas and I am always checking in. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Such FUN!!!! Your dancing skills are awesome. :) I'm sure your students went home raving about you!!!

    I would LOVE your templates since we have school on Monday. I'd love to fit that fun craft in!

    jillsloothaak@att.net

    Thanks so much!!

    Jill
    abcs and polkadots

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! I am L-O-V-I-N-G your President costumes. What fun! I bet your kiddos absolutely loved it. From the looks of it I would like to sit it on your class to see these fun costume days. :) Hmmm... Chicago or L.A.?! Decisions, decisions, decisions. Who wouldn't love to go to L.A. but Chicago is great. I would have to choose L.A. since I've never been. Thanks for stopping by my blog. So glad you did because I am excited about reading all your great posts.

    Brittany
    Lovely Literacy & More

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun, I love how you and your partner in crime work together! I would love a copy of your templates if you're still sharing. ;) I found you through abcs and polkadots blog and I'm your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete